Punakha Dzong (The Palace Of Great Bliss)

Punakha Dzong (The Palace Of Great Bliss)Placed strategically at the junction of the Pho Chhu and Mo Chhu rivers, the dzong was built in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to serve as the religious and administrative centre. According to legends, Guru Rinpoche had predicted that a boy named Ngawang will come from the mountain of the Sleeping Elephant and build a dzong there. Before that Drupthop (saint) Ngagi Rinchen had built the Dzongchung (smaller dzong) to protect it from floods. Damaged over the centuries by four catastrophic fires, floods and an earthquake, the dzong was fully restored in recent years by the Fourth King Jigme Singye Wangchuck. All Bhutanese kings were crowned within its massive Kuenray. It also contains the Machen Lhakhang which houses the relic of Zhabrung.


Testimonials Sometimes a packaged holiday comes so much with a predefined set of takeaways, but The Destination Bhutan offered so much freedom of choice that it did not feel like a packaged holiday at all.


KH Zaman
Buffalo, New York



View All